New Clinical Service at the Riordan Clinic: Advanced Medical Weight Management
A comprehensive weight loss program developed and supervised by a trained health care provider, individualized to the needs of each co-learner.
The core components of Medical Weight Management are:
- Complete history including family and genetic predisposition for obesity, personal health history including review of prescribed medications that may be culprits in weight gain or inability to lose weight, lifestyle and health risk behavior and pertinent physical examination.
- Lab evaluation of blood chemistry and hormones associated with weight gain.
- Body Composition Analysis to determine fat free weight (muscle), fat weight and distribution and water weight (hydration) inside and outside the cells. In specific instances a Calorimetry study may be done to accurately determine the co-learner’s true energy expenditure in a resting state (BMR).
- Decision and implementation of the specific dietary protocol best suited for the patient in their weight loss efforts. The diet protocols I have found to be most successful are:
Medical Weight loss: 800 to 1000 calories a day usually coupled with a prescription appetite suppressant. Focus on protein, complex unrefined carbohydrates and essential healthy fats.
Ketogenic diet: under 1000 calories a day comprised of a low percentage of protein and a high percentage of essential healthy fats.
Paleolithic or Caveman diet: similar to the ketogenic diet but does allow some complex unrefined carbohydrates.
Dr. Albert T. W. Simeons’s HCG Protocol: a very low-calorie diet of 500 calories a day coupled with daily subcutaneous injections of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin hormone (HCG).
Mimicking and intermittent fasting: Dr. Valter Longo’s Mimicking Fasting diet, which is primarily plant-based, is five days at the beginning of each month for at least 3 months. The rest of the month you return to a more normal daily intake.
Vegan/Vegetarian Diet: Although not for everyone, the health benefits and merits of moving to a plant-based diet are well established.
- The specific diet that is chosen is sent to the co-learner’s cell phone or home computer. Each day there is a new meal plan, shopping lists, recipes (including preparation time and pictures of the prepared meal), and the calorie breakdown for each meal.
- Daily physical activity is an extremely important component for the success of the weight loss program. The program includes an outline of daily physical activity as agreed upon between the provider and co-learner.
- Customized dietary supplement program based on the identification of essential nutrient deficiencies from the lab evaluation. In some cases, nutrient injections or intravenous drips are recommended.
- Patients spend one hour with the provider on their initial visit. 30-minute monthly follow-ups are used to evaluate successes or challenges that might require changes to their program. After the desired weight loss is met then each patient is transitioned to the appropriate maintenance program to keep from regaining the weight they have lost.
If you are interested in starting a medically focused, comprehensive weight loss program at Riordan Clinic, call 316-682-3100 for more information or to schedule an appointment. Achieving a more ideal body weight, improving health and restoring youthful functionality is what REAL HEALTH is all about.
Michael (Mike) Shaw PA-C, ABAAHP. Mike is a graduate of Wichita State University and has a Bachelor of Health Science as a Physician’s Assistant. In January of 1994 Mike joined the Cardiology staff at Galichia Medical Group and continues to work there part-time. After these achievements, wishing to directly work with a general clientele on wellness and anti-aging medicine, he founded Age Reversal Technologies. He is Board Certified by The American Board of Anti-Aging Health Practitioners. He is currently accepting new patients at the Riordan Clinic, Wichita location.
This Article was referenced in the the July 2018 Health Hunter .