Optimal Aging Profile
The goal of healthy aging is to have your healthspan (the period of your life that you are healthy and vital) meet your lifespan. Riordan Clinic’s Optimal Aging Profile is an essential tool in a proactive approach to meeting this goal.
This profile includes tests vital to maintaining good health as we age, such as:
- ApoE gene, which provides instructions for making a protein called apolipoprotein E. This protein combines with lipids to make lipoproteins which package cholesterol and other fats and transport them around the body. Different versions (alleles) of the ApoE gene can have implications for everything from heart health to macular degeneration and dementia.
- C-reactive protein (CRP) is a protein made by the liver in response to inflammation. This test can be used as an indicator of elevated levels of inflammation in the body, leading to cardiovascular disease and impairing brain health.
- Insulin, which must be neither too high nor too low. Low insulin causes diabetes type one and elevated insulin has been linked to obesity, heart disease, and cancer. Elevated insulin can cause cells to become more insulin resistant, leading to diabetes type two.
- Homocysteine elevation is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Elevated homocysteine is associated with low vitamin B6, vitamin B 12, folate, and renal disease.
- Hormones are potent messengers and can impact everything from proteins synthesis and tissue health, to mood, level of inflammation throughout the body, heart, and brain health. Hormones must be in a healthy balance for optimal health.
Riordan Clinic’s Optimal Aging Profile evaluates these factors, along with other important values such as coenzyme Q 10, vitamin D, complete blood count, and metabolic profile. This panel provides a comprehensive view of important considerations in healthy aging.
- Chem Profile
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
- Vitamin D
Profile specific instructions for lab draw:
- This profile requires a 10 to 12-hour fast.
- Hold hormone medications 3 to 4 hours prior to lab draw.
- Additional instructions may be provided upon ordering/scheduling.
To learn more about our laboratory please CLICK HERE
* All information subject to change. Please check with Bio-Center Laboratory with any questions.