Methylation describes the addition of a methyl group to a substrate, i.e. to another substance. A methyl group consists of a carbon atom (C) to which three hydrogen atoms (H) are attached: thus CH3, the chemical expression of methyl.
Methylation is involved in almost every bodily biochemical reaction and occurs billions of times every second in our cells. This process is needed to keep cells in good ‘working condition.’ Your ability to drive the methylation pathway may be limited, because of deficiencies in vitamins B2.B6, B12, folate, the minerals magnesium, copper and zinc, plus high levels of histamine, homocysteine, and urinary pyrroles. These are included in the Methylation Profile.
Conditions caused by or associated* with methylation defects:
- Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrom
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Addictive Behavior
- Autism or Down’s Syndrome
- Frequent miscarriages
- Bipolar or manic depression
- Allergies or Multiple Chemical Sensitivities
- Spina Bifida, Cleft Palate, or Neural Tube Defects
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Hashimoto’s or Hypothyroidism
- ADD or ADHD
- Lyme Disease
- Chronic Viral Infections.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
- Copper (Serum, RBC)
- Folic Acid (Folate)
- Glutathione (RBC)
- Magnesium (Serum, RBC)
- Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
- Zinc (Serum, RBC)
Profile specific instructions for lab draw:
- This profile requires a 10 to 12-hour fast.
- Fast from vitamin B6 and Zinc for one week prior to lab draw.
- Additional instructions may be provided upon ordering/scheduling.
To learn more about our laboratory please CLICK HERE
* All information subject to change. Please check with Bio-Center Laboratory with any questions.
* “Methylation Problems Lead to 100s of Diseases” by suzycohen.com